Motorcycle Insurance in Pittsburgh, PA
Whether you’ve been riding motorcycles for a while or are just a beginner, you should understand the importance of motorcycle insurance to protect yourself financially.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Motorcycle insurance typically helps cover various expenses related to accidents or damages involving your motorcycle. The exact coverage can vary depending on your chosen policy and your needs. The following are some common types of coverage:
- Liability coverage may help pay for damages and injuries you cause to other people or their property while riding your motorcycle.
- Collision coverage may help pay for damages to your motorcycle if you are involved in a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage may help pay for damages to your motorcycle caused by events other than collisions, such as theft, vandalism, fire or weather-related incidents.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) may help protect you if you are involved in an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance or who does not have enough insurance to cover the damages.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) may help cover medical expenses and lost wages if you or your passengers are injured in an accident.
How Does Motorcycle Insurance Work?
Motorcycle insurance is similar to auto insurance. It is a contract between the policyholder and an insurance company. By paying a premium, your insurance provider agrees to help pay for losses outlined in your policy.
How Much Motorcycle Insurance Do I Need?
The specific requirements for motorcycle insurance vary from state to state. Motorcycle insurance is often mandatory because it helps protect both riders and other parties involved in accidents by providing financial coverage for injuries, damages and liability.
Can You Get Motorcycle Insurance Without a Motorcycle?
You typically need proof of insurance before riding your new motorcycle, which means you can get insurance before purchasing a bike. However, some areas may offer a grace period of up to 72 hours to get coverage.
Where to Get Motorcycle Insurance in Pittsburgh, PA
Contact James L. Smith Insurance to discuss your motorcycle insurance needs to ensure you have the right coverage.